|Symbolism:||A raven was a symbol for General Sam Houston and later Terry’s Texas Rangers. It is placed on a gold shield signifying the unit’s original cavalry mission.|
On 10 FEB 1941, the Defense Act (H.B. No. 45) authorized a volunteer militia. Volunteers from Southeast Texas were constituted as the 2nd and 18th Battalions of the Texas Defense Guard. These units remained active throughout World War II and in 1943 the 48th Legislature changed the name of the Defense Guard to Texas State Guard.
The Texas State Guard was inactivated after the war on 28 AUG 1947 (AGTX-GO 21). The 50th Legislature then authorized the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps on 26 JAN 1948 (AGTX-GO 4) and the unit reformed and designated the 8th Regiment. In 1958 the unit was re-designated the 2nd Military Defense Group and in 1965 renamed the 2nd Military Police Group.
When the Texas State Guard reorganized on 1 JUL 1993 the state defense force from North-East Texas was designated as the 8th Brigade and the name Terry’s Texas Rangers reclaimed for the unit.
The original Terry’s Texas Rangers were constituted on 2 FEB 1861 as the 1st Ranger Regiment. On 2 APR 1862 it was re-designated the 8th Texas Cavalry at Bowling Green, Kentucky and received its nickname Terry’s Texas Rangers.
The modern unit has received two Governors Unit Citations. The first in 1984 for meritorious achievement by Co. A, 208th MP BN and then for the period 1 JUN 1986 to 1 JUL 1988 to the 205th MP BN for exceptionally meritorious service.